View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuya Cider View Post
Liking the Kindle a lot.

Anyway, when viewing manga/comics (CBR converted with calibre) I can read the text and all, but if I press Up->Centre (to zoom) the image takes up more of the screen. It would be much preferable if the thing loaded each successive image at this zoomed in state, yet it doesn't. Is there a configuration setting that would allow that?

It's not a huge thing, but it's irritating.
Converting to Mobi/azw is probably the worst option for the reason you state.

If you expand the CBR/CBZ, you can actually view the images directly with Kindle's 'experimental' image viewer. But there are some drawbacks to doing so (poor performance, inconsistent file naming conventions, etc.).

Instead, you might want to check out a program called 'Mangle'. It will take a set of image files and convert them into a series of PNG's that are sized for your Kindle's screen (rotating them if necessary to fit the screen better). You can then view them full-screen using Kindle's (undocumented, 'experimental') image viewer, with no zooming or rescaling required. (You can create folders in \pictures with image files in them, and these folders will show up as items on your Home list.) The viewer has a few rough edges, but works well enough, at least on my K3.

You will need to expand the CBR before feeding the image files to Mangle. (It'd be nice if Mangle could un-RAR or un-ZIP image archives for you, but hey it is free and the source is there if someone wants to add this feature). BTW I had some issues with the Mac version (it gets 'stuck' on some files) so have switched to the Windows version until I have a chance to figure out what the problem is, or an update gets posted.

Another way is to create a PDF from the image source (e.g. convert the CBR/CBZ directly to PDF). However, I find you wind up with rescaling artifacts in fit-to-screen mode (affecting line quality), and in fit-to-width mode (the only other option worth considering) the quality is great, but you can't view enough of each page to see what is going on.

Taking the downscaled image files from Mangle and combining these into a PDF gives good results in terms of quality, is a more convenient packaging than a folder with a bunch of files in it, allows you to set bookmarks and annotations, view progress & page numbers, and seems to be a little faster and consistent (e.g. the image viewer won't stay in full screen mode from session to session). But it is an extra step in the workflow, and you need to have a tool for it (or again, modify Mangle to do the PDF conversion).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-27-2010 at 03:56 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote