View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I was working with Pioneer Place mall in downtown Portland to do just that. It seemed like an Ideal sort of situation. they were willing to work with me on rent- a great rate actually- and hours for operating in an actually store space(was a Bang and Olufsen).

I was actually only going to be open during the weekends and during the week the store front would be a big advert. pointing people to my website. I have history in mall retail and had someone lined up to work the store with me.

The main issues were timing and funds. I didnt have the funds to get both inventory and pay the first months rent. I wanted that as security for myself because I didnt want my first relationship with them to be not paying the rent. I also didnt want an unpleasant retail experience for customers. that's where the timing came in.

They contacted me about it in the week before Halloween. we had talked previously about a cart possibly. They were getting alot of calls about ereaders and since I was the person they knew that had a plan they wanted me in this space.

But buy the time I could have - scrounged the funds(which i did end up borrowing a small amount but business loans for start-ups are just non-existent)ordered inventory, applied for the city tax permit, design (w/help from a designer) the store front to their specs got that stuff created /printed etc and up I would have been opening probably last weekend if not this weekend.

And probably not had any inventory still. As it we still don't have retail boxes for the PocketBooks. I would have had to have something besides them and I did line up some from Elonex which they were nice enough to hold for 1 week while we negotiated etc.

So i would have paid for 2 months and had maybe 5 weeks until Christmas.

I'm happy with the decision we made to not go forward. We just didnt have time to prepare a good shopping experience. We will be talking again after the New Year about a space so I'm glad no damage was done with the mall leasing agent if we had inventory issues etc.

Still, I was down town the other day and made a point of going to look at the empty store front and think about the What Ifs....if they had just called me 2 weeks earlier...

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-01-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote