View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #66
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by xportz View Post
I believe I've found one of the most egregious pricing discrepancies in the eBook market:
The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition
Paperback: $8.99
Kindle: $2.95
eReader/Fictionwise: $45.00!!!
That's right. Amazon Kindle is selling the electronic version of Stephen King's "The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition" for just $2.95, while the print/paperback version is currently at $8.99.

Meanwhile, eReader/FictionWise just jacked the price of this ebook up to $45.00! That's 5 times the price of the paperback, and over 15 times the price of the Kindle version. How on Earth can they justify charging a 500% eBook tax on this, and other older Stephen King novels? Interestingly enough, I purchased "The Stand" from eReader in September for just $17.95.

I don't know what Doubleday is thinking, and I'm beginning to suspect they must be "in bed" with Amazon as far as eBook pricing goes, putting Kindle competitors' prices through the roof, and dropping Kindle's to bargain levels. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. Any other theories?
They are not "in bed" with Amazon. Amazon seems to have made their own choice to sell eBooks for a low price no matter what they have to pay the publisher. They have the size of business to do that from their existing markets.

I think Amazon is on the good guy's side of this particular issue. You should write a complaint to the publisher.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote