View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I had a feeling the Remarque might win, seeing how close the vote was and knowing of at least one affinity for WWI-era books.

It does sound interesting, but the film is so very excellent that in a rare case of possible role reversal, I'm not sure if the book will live up to the film. Though very different genres, I had that exact experience in reading The Maltese Falcon, which didn't live up at all to the classic film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...It seems to me as if people in this club have moved away from voting for books on the simple basis of pleasure. It seems every book that gets chosen these days has to have social importance or possess a certain highbrow level of literary merit. Could we be morphing into the Literary Club II? Not that there's anything wrong with highbrow aspirations or the Literary Club; it's just that if the two clubs are going to have identical aims, one is unnecessary.
I've noticed that sometimes as well, but I would say that regardless, what's the problem as long as people enjoy each club? I can see your frustration with this month since the last two months the same book you were hoping for came in second to something literary. But the Christie and Tey only lost by one vote and the Gaiman only by two. Many months it's been close and it just so happens that something literary squeaks ahead. Though just two months ago Monte Cristo won and it may be long but it was probably the least "literary" of the top vote getters that month. Dr. Izard won just three months ago and aside from being older, that one isn't literary at all. Also The Big Sleep, A Study in Scarlet and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Last year we also had books win such as Neverwhere, The Princess Bride, Crocodile on the Sandbank and Shutter Island.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote