View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #81
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
1. Because it's not information, it's a rumor. Rumors don't get removed.
2. What makes you say that it has a negative impact? Today the market closed at +20.17, and it's the first time that it has gone up over 20 points since October.
1) "Rumor" is probably a bad choice of words. Because what's out there IS information. It just needs to be further verified or dispelled, if false. And false information does get removed. In the example I gave of the false story of Jobs' heart attack, Apple stock had fallen initially. But once Apple came out and dispelled the rumor, thereby "removing it," the stock shot right back up.

2) Because ever since the story leaked out, the price has fallen. Today's uptick is for just one day. Let's see how the stock responds in the next few days.

Quote:
And you consider something that is preceded by "people familiar with the situation said" to be a factual assertion?
The statements in all these stories most definitely were factual assertions. And none of the statements were preceded by "people familiar with the situation said."

There is a difference between someone saying "Apple cut orders by XYZ " and "Apple may have to cut orders next quarter."

Do you understand the difference?

Quote:
I don't think that it can work. Something smaller wouldn't work as a smartphone, so the only option would be lower specs. I've looked online and you can still buy iPhone 3G for example, so what would a Mini have? Lower specs than the 3G would get laughed at, not to mention the fact that any buyer would be better off getting a used higher specs model for the same money.
I have my doubts as well but I wouldn't discount the appeal such a phone could have to the prepaid market. The iPhone 3G runs an old iOS. An iPhone Mini, while having lower hardware specs (such as going back to a 3.5" screen and a lesser camera), might be able to run iOS6 which would be an advantage. Maybe they sell it as an unlocked phone as well. But as I said, I think a phablet iPhone might be the next version we see.

--Pat