View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I like the concept of e-libraries, and would like to see them as a normal and contiguous part of existing libraries.

In my district there is one main library and a number of smaller branch libraries at other locations within the district, as well as a home lending service where books, tapes, cd's, dvd's are taken to those who can't physically access the library themselves (think elderly, infirm etc)

However, there are currently very few ebooks, and those that are available have only one copy with no multiple borrower license - so can only be borrowed one copy at a time, ridiculous.

I would like to see my government enter into the digital books debate and determine that all paper books that are published and available in Australia (after a certain date) must have an accompanying ebook format, and where that paper book is available as a library book then so must the ebook be available to the library.

Yes, I know that means big changes and lots of discussions with publishers and others, but that's the business of government - to have those discussions and get things done.

There is no obvious (logical even) reason to me why a paper book should not have an ebook copy made simultaneously. I don't mean that they must be released simultaneously to the general public, but if the library gets the paper book then the library also gets the ebook.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth ....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote