Thread: Glo Case for Glo
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #73
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyeh View Post
Just a question, is there any hazard putting magnets that close the the e-reader?

Would the internal components or screen be affected?

Also can someone explain how the magnet auto sleeps the kobo glo?
I don't think anything internal would be affected, certainly not for the on/off magnet - the Kobo is obviously designed to use a mechanism such as this (as long as you don't use a giant / over-powered magnet, of course). The same logic would seem to apply to the screen.

This magnet is comparatively far from the the memory card slot too (although I'm not sure about the internal memory card), but as far as I know magnetism does not affect the kind of flash memory in memory cards anyway.

I certainly haven't experienced any issues with the Glo in this case (and presumably this is an extreme example with so many magnets involved), or with my Touch in a case which closed using a few magnets on the right-hand side.

As to how the magnetic sensor works - no idea! Could be something like a tiny reed switch, or perhaps an electronic sensor. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear...
markino is offline   Reply With Quote