View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Images fail in ePub>KF8 from PG files

I just entered this as bug #1062477

Quote:
KF8 generation (MOBI-new, MOBI-both, and AZW3) munges the links to images (image box is present but contains and error/? mark) when the source document is Project Gutenberg (US) epub. Error is visible in Kindle Previewer (Kindle Touch and Fire modes) and in calibre's ebook-viewer. Classic MOBI (MOBI-old and MOBI-both) produces viewable images. MOBI-both files that fail in Kindle Previewer's Kindle Touch mode view fine in the Kindle mode.

Opening the ePub in Sigil (I've only tested v4) and resaving without any edits "heals" the ePub creating one that calibre will convert successfully.

Failure seen in calibre 0.8.69, 0.9.0, and 0.9.1 running on Windows XPsp3
Fails whether or not the MOBI option "do not convert to JPEG" is checked (images in test files are all JPEGs)

Sample file: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33447

Note: the "bogus" PG ePubs do not use conventional folder names. Running them through Sigil standardizes the names. It seems that calibre's classic MOBI routines handle the PG naming properly and the new KF8 routines fail.
I should have also said that the PG ePubs view fine in ADE and calibre's ebook-viewer.

Last edited by dwig; 10-06-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: #&%@*## typos
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote