View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's posts like these that keep us going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Got it this morning. Played with it for a few hours. I like the Nook Touch lots better:

- The touchscreen is very sluggish, and rarely picks up my first tap. Paging becomes an exercise in annoyance.
We have alleviated some of these issues in 1.9.4. Working on making the touch even better every day.

Quote:
- The horrible default (and system) serif font, Georgia, is nearly unreadable on this small screen. It is a shaded font, with varying stroke widths, and the low-res rendering on an e-ink screen gives blotchy-looking text, where the letters and serifs are very poorly rendered. I don't even consider reading books in san-serif fonts.
I've read over a hundred books on Kindle, and a half-dozen on the Nook Touch, and I've never failed to find a comfortable combination of font, line spacing, and margins, but the Kobo Touch defeated me - I can't stand to read on it.

- The default margin is flush against the screen edges. Since I remove publishers' margins with calibre and depend on the ereader to set a narrow margin, this is annoying, since the text near the edges is shadowed by the bezel.
New font / reading controls added in v1.9.5

Quote:
- It is VERY slow in some cases. In resetting to factory defaults (to return it), it took me five tries to get it to actually respond to tapping the Reset button.
I've done quite a few factory resets but have not seen this behaviour. I'll make sure the team looks at it and if there's a fix needed you can bet it will be in an update coming soon.

Quote:
- The hardware buttons on the Nook are very useful for reading single-handed.
I have to say I'm all about the touch screen personally, but I can understand the allure of the hardware buttons.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote