View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Lightbulb

OK - kindly pardon my attempts at exactitude, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On Psion Palmtop devices, innumerable Palm devices, then later on HP (and later Compaq) iPaq Windows CE handheld devices; Sony, Bookeen, iRex, Kindle, BeBook, Pocketbook eInk devices, and Apple iPhone and iPad.
Of the lot above, a very few were made 10 years ago - and as you go further back fewer and fewer indeed - 20 years ago ?
'Small' 20 years ago was the size of a portable sewing machine; I was 'doing PCs' at the time and remember quite clearly when 'laptops' arrived and they were NOT even close to being handheld !!!

This forum is about MODERN e-readers, most of which have been around less than several years (as opposed to ancient tech devices....).

Got an old, floppy-based IBM PC ? It'll display ebooks as plain text sure enough...but that's not the subject here, neither are Psion, Palm, HP/Ipaq devices; E-readers such as those made by Sony, Bookeen, iRex, Kindle, BeBook, Pocketbook eInk devices ARE what this forum seems to be about, and NONE of those AFAIK have been around anyplace NEAR 10-20 years.

My point in the above description:
If a person STILL has ancient tech gear it is usually of incredibly high quality and was made to last, well - almost forever (Like the aforemention original IBM PC.
Using an old palmtop device does NOT compare to an e-reader because they were NOT made as E-readers ! Same for Palms and that ilk.
That is why they do NOT count in this consideration.

BUT REALLY the biggie here is durability; go ahead, tell me you expect things made/bought today to last as long as that 30 year old Maytag washer that still works EVERY day and has ONLY EVER needed a single belt - sure, go ahead...and I will simply laugh and laugh and laugh because only a person in staunch denial even thinks things made today are made THAT tough.

Again, please pardon my attempt at exactitude; I am presently in a town which is currently infested with swarms of antique cars going on average 15 MPH no matter the posted speed and spewing clouds of noxious, untamed exhaust which hurts the eyes and respiration.
Like 20 year old tech gear - they are from a different time and were built to a different standard altogether.
I think they are VERY pretty when restored - and I also think they have exactly ZERO business on the roads UNLESS they go the posted speeds safely and without excessive pollution !!!
Old tech gear is very nice too, but NOT suited for comfortable handheld reading - yes - a person may adore their ipaq, and I salute them - but it is not what I want nor is it what this forum seems to be about.

Best Wishes.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote