View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Tompe has weighed in with the fact that his mobiperl tools can't successfully extract a Mobi file created with it. I haven't looked to see what his perl code is doing, so I don't know why it might fail.

I've tested it here, and High Compression works fine on my PalmOS device, with as gratifying size reduction. Default Mobi compression appears to be Palm DOC compatible, meaning a variant of RLE yielding about 40% compression. High compression looks closer to what I see with Zlib -- zip/gzip compatible, with about 70% compression.
Well it fails because the Perl module handling the file cannot unpack a format that I think is not documented. If there is documentation available then the problem is solvable. But if the format is a secret MobiPocket format than I think it should not be used. Secret formats always leads to problems.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote