View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
My, installing software that size on a thumb drive takes a long time!

Anyway, I got Open Office (portable) up and running. I opened my source, a Word doc, and then saved it to a Tagged PDF file. It was quick, it was slick, it had only one important decision to make (check "Tagged PDF"), and it gave a file that looked great in desktop Adobe Reader. Smaller file size than the one I made with Framemaker, too.

Just one problem -- it looks like crap on my PDA. It breaks lines in the middle of words, gives very short lines in some places, and correct lines in others. The book title, in large font, breaks in the middle of words. At least as viewed in Adobe 1.0 for Pocket PC, it is completely unusable.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Keeping in mind here that my objective is not to solve my own reading problem, which is a non-issue, but to offer other writers some guidance on making their PDF files
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote