View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Steeplechase
Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo N647
A hope for eReader robustness and even antifragility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
A few other comments:

With Kindle eInk readers, I can safely say that the main cause of failure is impact screen damage. If their screen was the same size as your calculator, maybe they would (with battery replacement) last that long. A few of them, anyway.
If the experience of the forum is that failure is primarily due to either the screen being damaged or the battery failing then will the eventual development of plastic e-ink screens solve most of the problems if flexible screens are combined with a user removable/replaceable battery?

No one has mentioned software failures. I don't know for a fact that it is also a problem, but I do know that my KOBO gave odd messages that to a layman, such as myself, would indicate some sort of software issue, as would KOBO's advice to reset the machine in case of trouble.

As a matter of principle it would seem that user controlled software would make a more robust and perhaps even antifragile device (to use Nassim Taleb's term, I hope correctly) . Do any of you see signs of the development of an e-ink eReader with user installable and controllable software?

Is there a Maker's Bill of Rights conforming, Rasberry Pi (or equivalent) based eReader with a tough yet flexible e-ink screen and user removable batteries somewhere in the future? Would that be truly robust and even antifragile (assuming that the flexible screens didn't have other flaws that limited their life)? What else would a robust and antifragile eReader need?
Steeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote