View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #16253
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I just saw that the first book, Created, The Destroyer (The Destroyer #1) by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy, is free and DRM free. I grabbed it to give the series a try, although the reviewers think the humor really starts about book 2 or 3 though.
I agree. When they started out, they were trying to make a serious book about these characters. They laid it out well, but if sort of fell flat. Then they got the idea to really push the envelop about the abilities of the martial arts of Sinaju. I mean REALLLLLY push the envelop. Book 2 is a bit better, but I'd skip it and go right to book 3 after book 1. Although these are books about assassins, it's the character interaction between Remo and Chiun that make the book work, and Chiun's bizarre out-of-character behavior all the time that are so much fun. Because of the skills possessed and taught by Chiun's mastery of 'Sinaju,' these guys can doge bullets, climb up plate glass windows, swim through sand, fight off 20 heavily armed assailants in a closed room (while eating an ice cream cone and not spilling any,) etc., etc., But Chiun will get furious with anyone who interrupts his daytime TV soap operas, and enjoys sitting and chatting with little old ladies as they compare notes about their uncaring children who never write or call...

It's absolutely ludicrous. And absolutely delightful! But you have to get to book 3 to really start seeing that. They are very quick reads and lots of fun!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote