View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #16251
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
<snip> I am reading the Book Club selection of A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that I had thought to have read before, but I had not. I am really enjoying the story and, yes, I enjoy the TV program "Elementary".
Finished and loved it, although the middle part (which I finally realized was a back story) confused me for a few minutes while I paged back and forward. I also listened to the free LibriVox version Read by Bob Neufeld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I had started another Dan Brown book - Digital Fortress - but got a bit bored so I've moved on to Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel.
I read Digital Fortress back when it first came out in the late 90's and really enjoyed it. Now that the internet is such a common part of life, I wonder if I would feel differently if I tried it again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I made my decision! I went with an old favorite; the "Destroyer" series, with Remo Williams and Chiun, the Master of Sinaju. If you haven't read any of these, they are a tongue-in-cheek send-up of the unsung heroes saving the world. A good belly laugh on every page. There are about 100 books in the series, the first being an attempt at making it a serious thriller. But by the second, the writers decided it would work better as humor, and boy did they get that right! Silly, campy, sort of an 'Austin Powers' without the juvenile sex. After the serious tight-laced crew in Ngaio Marsh's book, this is about as far the other side as you can get. Imagine an 80 yr old Korean cursing in Yiddish...

Stitchawl
I just saw that the first book, Created, The Destroyer (The Destroyer #1) by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy, is free and DRM free. I grabbed it to give the series a try, although the reviewers think the humor really starts about book 2 or 3 though.

I just finished The Judas Line by Mark Everett Stone that was free the end of Feb 2013.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Starred Review: "This delightful Catholicism-infused quest fantasy stars a likable and original duo. Fr. Michael Engle, a pragmatic Catholic priest, and Jude, who has a considerably more uncertain relationship with God, are unlikely friends, but when a blood-covered Jude runs into Mike's church asking for help, Mike listens to him, believes him, and joins him on a quest to find the Holy Grail, which Jude hopes will help him destroy a legendary and dangerous family heirloom. Along the way they encounter Cain, the Norse gods (drinking and watching Bridge over the River Kwai), and a Valkyrie with the requisite 'chainmail-covered pillowy breasts.' When Mephistopheles shows up, Jude manages to label him an Arch-Fiend of Hell without irony and without irritating the reader. Stone's depiction of magic is realistic and intelligent and his treatment of Catholicism refreshingly informed and three-dimensional. Even the obligatory near-apocalyptic ending is coherent, surprising, and exciting."

--Publishers Weekly

I loved this, even though there were a few errors of extra words or maybe left in words when an edit was done. I really can't describe all the elements in the book, so the above review gives a good start on it. The characters were very likable, developed, and the story was additionally told through their eyes and a manuscript of the back story, read piece by piece by the priest, to fill in the action. There was a lot of action, bloody and fast, in places, but the story was so compelling that I stayed up way too late to finish it. Great modern fantasy with elemental magic, divine and not so divine power, mythology, angels (fallen and not) and the quest.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote