View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #48
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Surely we can all agree that there is (and should be) a distinction between "just didn't resonate with me," or "I thought it was awful," or "I wasn't part of the target audience" and "difficult?" That it felt like a chore to finish a book simply because you didn't care for it has no real bearing here ... IMHO. If it did, I would be forced to admit that the vast majority of YA fiction out there is far too "difficult" for me.
Quite so. It seems a lot of people equate "difficult" with "I thought it was boring", "I thought it was pointless" or "I didn't enjoy it for some other reason", when it ought to be fairly obvious that those are (generally) entirely different things. I guess it's closely related to the kind of ego-centric view you get in every other sphere of life - the music I don't like is crap, the clothes I don't wear look awful, and so on and so forth.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote