View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #67
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Well, I think that since it's an eBook reader, and PG has the largest (I think?) number of free eBooks, that it's not a bad idea or business decision to have it work the way it does in this latest firmware. Just a hassle for those who were already using it for "normal" text files and have to reformat. Toggle option would be the best of both worlds.
I agree: a toggle option or a separate "GP reader" would be an optimal solution. But given a choice between GP and standard text files I would still prefer a native support of text files and RTFs. In fact, I have never heard of an e-reader that could not handle them out of the box (I don't have much knowledge of other readers, I have to admit).

True, there must be many people out there for whom PG is the principal source of texts. On the other hand, imagine a businessman who needs to read a lengthy legal document on his transcontinental flight. Used to be simple: save your doc as RTF on your reader and head to the airport. I would guess there are at least as many users who want plain texts and Word docs as Gutenberg fans. IMHO Ectaco made a wrong decision about it.

Ironically, up to now every time a user complained on Ectaco forum about PDF of fb2 performance they had a canned answer to the effect: "Shut up and use plain text files. Our device is optimized for them".
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote