View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MS Surface Pro 1, Kobo Aura HD
Ok, I know this is a stupid question, but....
I had thought WinCE was an o/s, like Windows only smaller? But evidently that's not correct, it seems that WinCE is a base and then you have to have developer knowledge to add the things that make it an o/s for your specific device. I guess that's what "embedded" means, huh?
So, if I got a device that ran Linux, even though the hardware might be compatible with WinCE, changing over to WinCE from Linux would be darned near impossible unless the company released a version of WinCE for that device...am I correct, or not?
If I'm off base here, then could someone please point me in the direction of how on earth you acquire a copy of WinCE??
I can't find a way to even purchase a license for it, unless you download the SDK and then register it with Microsoft. Sorry, I'm not a developer...I can install a regular Windows OS all day long, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with CE.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote