View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #538
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have a demo K4 and K5. The exported USB drive is zero MB, even when fully charged. Diags works on both models when using MfgTool to get to diags.

A good way to make "disable diags" menu work is to "display serial number as barcode" in the "device settings" menu (first item on main menu). It creates the missing XML file and folder (apparently), but exporting USB from diags did not seem to work. I will have to try it again later...

Select boot works fine with both of them, so debricking should be easy. I want to backup the demo partitions first...

EDIT: It appears that the white "DEMO" and "NOT FOR SALE" labels on the bezels are etched into the surface, and filled in with white paint. Removing the white paint reveals the deep etching and black plastic exposed in the etch. Even filling them in with a matching dark silver paint would not completely hide them. Amazon played that one smart. Reselling an "undemoed kindle" is a bad idea anyway. But you could fill them in and repaint the entire top surface of the bezel.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote