View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #117
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've been in the same boat recently after buying a Kindle Fire.

The easiest solution is to buy an android device with access to the Google Play Store. Buy the app through that device then install it and back it up (I've used the free app Backup and Restore)
Then connect the android device to your pc, copy the Back Up and Restore folder from the device to your PC. Disconect
Then connect your Fire to the PC and copy the individual apps you need from the Back Up and Restore folder on your PC into the downloads folder on the Fire. Disconnect
Then go into the download folder and launch the app you've copied over and install it.

You'll need to do this each time theres an update.

I ended up buying a budget 7 inch tablet which is just as well as hubby keeps knicking my Fire!! You could just buy the cheapest android phone that has google play access.
Found an easier method to get the android apk: on the android, just go to google play & do a search for "apk extracter". There will be many free apps available & will extract the selected(s) apps' apk onto the sdcard, e.g. /sdcard/extractedapks/.

I extracted Aldiko Premium, Moon+ Reader Pro & Mantano Pro; only Aldiko didn't install but it could be that I had installed the free version from Aldiko (could be that something didn't get deleted); but no problem with Aldiko as it is now just being used as my "library". The latest versions of Moon Reader & Mantano do work but Mantano will need to regen its book covers. Mantano's book cover regen is probably that I just copied the Mantano settings from the Nexus 7 rather than have Mantano "import" the files again (the import is really a pointer/path to where the files actually reside).

Anyway, the apk extract & side load to the Fire HDX 8.9 2014 works as well as the usability of what I side loaded. Will find out later if I can just install the newer version over the older as in update rather than delete/reinstall....https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/smile.gif
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote