View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #44
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
This is just wrong. *Of course* there is a business case for Apple to not charge for e-books bought through Amazon and others. The business case is that it makes the iPad better and brings in more customers. This was Apple's policy until recently, and it seemed to work fine. It's also the policy of Android tablets. And it's also how computers, including macs, work.
Indeed, while they make profits from apps and other content their main profits are from the actual hardware sales and by making it less convenient for people to use an ios device for reading they will make it a less appealing purchase for people in the future.

Personally, I can't ever remember buying any books via my ipad as it is much more of a secondary device for me when it comes to reading, but even taking that into account I would still be dubious about getting another ipad since who is to say that they won't use this as just a first step with the next one being to block other reading apps, it might seem unlikely now, but most thought that about the previous situation too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote