View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 02:54 AM   #1
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
uploading multiple formats

This is not a suggestion, just something that I've been wondering about.

Several years ago I came across a web site where you could upload a book and it would convert it to different formats. My vague memory was that I uploaded a test epub and had it convert it to azw3, or maybe vice-versa. It was obvious from the css classes in the conversion that it was using Calibre to do the converting.

So assuming that the technical expertise was available I was thinking that the book library here could restrict uploads to one format, epub most likely, and when someone downloads a book they could specify the format and it would convert it to the other formats on the fly.

I can think of several advantages for doing it this way but ignoring the issues of the technical expertise needed to implement it I'm wondering what disadvantages there might be.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote