View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Welcome, texag. Aside from content, there is a big difference between the rocket eBook (which I've had for years and still use) and the Reader. Whether it is worth the price for you is something only you can decide, and you're doing the right thing reading all the stuff here.

I really do like it, and am disappointed only about a few things that Sony could and should have incorporated, but still is worth it for me.

Comparing the two, the Rocket eBook's pros and cons compared to the Reader:

Cons: much heavier and bulkier.
Now, of course, no current books available at Amazon, etc.

Pros: Can download any font of type and type size that's on your computer to the device.
Touch screen.
Backlighted, and ability to pick several degrees of brightnes and contrast.
Has clock and date display.
Has built-in lookup dictionary.
Can bookmark and write notes and underline text.
Can turn text in all four positions.
Can "goto" any page, or "previous position"
Has a good "Find" function with an onscreen keyboard.
Has much better Library software that is heads and shoulders above the Connect software.
Can also plug built-in modem directly to phone jack and download content that way.
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

So, as good as the Reader is, it is amazing to me that none of these neat features are incorporated into it. Maybe someday.

I'll tell you this: if the eBook still had the ability to purchase and download current books, I'd never have bothered to buy the Reader.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote