Thread: Classic Nook buyers beware
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
1. Amazon's prices may be lower than B&N's prices today, but that may well change. The failure of this argument is that nearly everyone's prices are higher than Amazon's which, by your reasoning, would mean that all ebook devices other than the Kindle should be avoided. OTOH, Kindle prices are currently low but should Amazon get a monopoly poistion, who knows what price Amazon will charge. Plus, personally, I much prefer to buy from B&N than Amazon and, in fact, never buy from Amazon.

2. How is it flawed? Because you can't do it with a Kindle? Or because it has a time-limit like a public library? Even a limited lending capability is a plus considering that you can't lend DRMed ebooks purchased elsewhere.

3. There are several problems here. First, why should B&N give you free access to the internet? Just because you want it? Second, I am perfectly happy not to have internet access on my ebook device -- that's what I have a computer for. Third, since B&N is paying the bill, why shouldn't the primary purpose be to access its store? I don't own a Kindle but I don't suspect that the Kindle is a great Internet browsing device. Besides, because it is Android based, someone could develop a browser for those who really want to browse the Internet in such small screen space.

4. Yes formats are limited but it covers the primary ones for book reading. This is a book reading device, not a replacement for a computer.

5. If you noted, B&N cut a deal with Adobe so its eReader DRM will be available to other vendors as part of the Adobe package and B&N will support both its own ePub DRM and the Adobe version, as well as non DRM ePub. That's a lot more ePub support than the Kindle.

6. Lack of folder support is a problem. One point for you.

7. Supposedly you get 10 days of battery life on the Nook and 14 days on the Kindle with wireless turned off. In exchange, you can self-replace the battery in the Nook but not in the Kindle. I'll take less battery life in exchange for being able to replace it myself. (Plus you get expansion capability in the Nook.)

8. Probably not the case as the Nook will support more flavors of ePub. But then isn't locking in what Sony and Amazon try to do?

9. That's a personal preference. Some people do not like any margins, wanting the entire screen taken up with text. Some don't want extra space between paragraphs. We each have our own preferences. I don't find the formatting a problem.

10. Every company has to start somewhere. The fact that something is a second or third generation device doesn't make it better than a first-generation device. Consider the problems Sony has had with its touch screen readers and is the Kindle 2 a better device with nonreplaceable battery and no expansion slot than the first generation? If you follow your own advice, you would never buy a device because there is always a new generation coming soon.

Last edited by rhadin; 10-22-2009 at 10:13 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote