View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #29
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Wouldn't it be easier for user to Sony Reader users to download the ePub version from Project Gutenberg (and if a PRS-500 user convert it to LRF format)?
I guess so, if all you want is the "raw" PG title.

A PG .epub has the same issues as it's underlying .htm or .txt source file, namely, the inclusion of the PG preamble, PG legalese, visible page numbers as well as it's lack of pagebreaks, etc...

However, GuteBook adds value, by preprocessing that PG Title and applying many fixes/filters to produce a more appealling (IMHO) ebook; almost akin to a MobileRead.com ebook upload.

The differences between a GuteBook .epub and PG .epub may be minor, but the abillity to modify the source file to the user's own preferences is what makes GuteBook shine!

Maybe as the PG .epub format "matures", I may even use it as the source file that GuteBook tweaks...

p.s. Truth be told, it was your Nintendo book collection challenge thread that got me thinking about accessing the PG website directly and retrieving their ebooks through a script. See the below attachments for my first run-through after reading FangornUK's Yet Another Gutenberg Book/HTML converter.

So (belated) thanks for your contribution too...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Nintendo DS Download Script - R5 - gutebook.bat.txt (3.2 KB, 341 views)
File Type: txt PG-results.txt (401.3 KB, 458 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-06-2009 at 08:42 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote