View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
cts
cts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by donB006 View Post
Amazon email is sure vague and confusing about describing these updates.
Indeed. I wonder why? It's certainly not their fault, they are actually fixing things broken well "below" what they themselves invented - ie. the Linux subsystem (which runs the device, so Amazon is standing in the shoulders of giants as most of us in the field of embedded devices .

Quote:
The critical update needed by 22 March needs to be installed onto the 3.4.2 OS according to Amazon. The update you reference from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2 is already supposed to be applied before the critical update appears in an OTA update. I imagine Amazon would update your Kindle Keyboard to 3.4.2 before installing the critical update as soon as you enable the wireless.
I understand. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Does your K3 still have 3.4.1? The 3.4.2 update allowed the browser to visit internet servers using the TLS transport layer security. The browser will fail at many servers without 3.4.2. I don't know of any problems if you were to install the 3.4.2 on your rooted kindle as long as you don't get any errors. My k3 refused to update from 3.1 until I worked around the problems.

The critical update needed by 22 March should just install the new amazon ca certificate. I don't know if this is needed only for the Kindle Store or for also using the 3G proxy server at Amazon. Time will tell. My Kindle Keyboard B006 only had two files changed by the critical update (EDIT: changes to 3.4.2 I have found so far) :
/usr/java/lib/security/cacerts
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

The updates should only be needed for people who use the wireless so maybe you can leave your kindle as you have so far.
Is there a place I can download only this emergency update from?
cts is offline   Reply With Quote