View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
woodapple
woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.woodapple is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: kindle
Question bulk metadata download through command line

Hey guys,

I have a massive ebook collection of about 200,000 books. My problem is that they are completely unorganized, which makes finding a specific book a pain. After doing some searching online I decided the easiest way to get them organized is to add them through calibre. Since I have so many books, I have been looking into the command line interface, so that the process would hopefully be quicker and more reliable. So far I have figured out how to add the books through the command line using calibredb add -d {dir}. I am also splitting up the books I add using wildcards in the {dir} (e.g. calibredb add -d ./A*). Below outlines a few questions I have.

1) Would calibre be able to handle that many books?

2) Through the GUI, I know how to do a bulk metadownload. However, I ran this through last night (7 hours) and it only got about 3000 books done. I had also selected to not download the covers and only download metadata. Therefore, I estimate that it would take about 467 hours to download the metadata for all my books! I have searched for a way to do the bulk download through command line hoping that it will be quicker. However, I have only been able to find how to do individual metadata downloads using fetch-ebook-metadata [options] where you have to specify the author, title, or isbn. Does anyone know how to do bulk metadata download through the command line?

3) I have downloaded some plugins providing additional sources to find the metadata (mostly from kiwidude), hoping to decrease the number of books that calibre is unable to find the metadata for. The following is the metadata sources that I have currently selected: Amazon.com, Anobii Fetcher, Barnes & Noble, Edelweiss, Fantastic Fiction, Fantastic Fiction Adults, FictionDB, Goodreads, Google, and Open Library. Could having all these sources selected be slowing down my metadata downloads? If so, which sources would you recommend I use? I only care about getting the metadata and do not care about covers.

4) Last of all, is there any other software other than calibre that would be better suited for my needs?

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Aaron
woodapple is offline   Reply With Quote