View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #42
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I write as a VERY demanding user, believe me, and I know that products are imperfect so I want a considerable chance to be there that they can and will be fixed. In the case of the Sony PRS - which looked like it had a very high quality control that miserably failed in spots under non-quality related constraints (compromises in project definition) - some people produced modded firmware, and still it remained impossible to modify a /very basic/ usability feature like font size - which could then be changed as a base size but the options remained something like *only* 100% | 150% | 200% | 300% | 400% on that base size. Clever granularity. I repeat: even with hacking it was impossible to fix in that firmware a "mid-sized to way big to huge!?!".

Already knowing that something may (will most probably) need to be fixed, I require the flexibility to be there. The device must potentially do what *I* intend, rigorously.

Since you will meet "half baked software", the chief workaround is to be able to install other software - using consolidated environments, recreating those you are proficient with, testing new ones etc.

"Appliances" (toasters etc.) perform maybe complex processes but with simple and specialized outcomes. Following that, they can be relatively closed.
Multi-purpose devices cannot be appliances. These devices are meant to be multi-purpose devices. Multi-purpose devices in general follow the traditional scheme of having an OS that accepts installing software. Which gives you choice.
I agree, Sony readers are hard to hack, i am lookiing for a device making reading process as easely as possible, so i don't understand why Onyx Boox make their devices "open", driven by Android and have possibility to complete their native not-polished software by third party!, i don't want that, i want a reader to read confortably books in format epub and pdf, not have acces to play store! Tablet do that very well, it's color device, very fast refresh screen, muli-purposes and last not least much cheaper!!

Last edited by lems1995; 07-19-2017 at 12:25 PM.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote