View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #31
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Please allow me to be the first to thank you, for your well noted remark, and, so do you work at an Embassy or at a Consulate? (I liked both the flattery and its preparing a bathos)
Gee, you got me right there plus I learned a new word. So giving thanks is on my side as well. In issue-specific forums, esp. about tech, I noted that communication of facts and information can be very efficient as in less words and density of facts and info as high as possible. You see, it is quite the opposite of the way I write here writing out everything and, shame on me, even beyond that, more words that do not provide additional meaning. Another example of redundance would be this sharp sentence of mine: "I use a reference management program called Citavi and I guess it will not work on it directly which would make for this combination to be unworkable and useless."

I really try to take heed of that recent comment here about time being scarce. Think that was even you MDP. But I will always have an easy excuse: English is not my first language.

My only experience with Boox devices (s. sig) left the impression on me that some of them are, or at least were, indeed "half-baked" products as another forum participant commented recently. With a grain of salt, nothing worked in the device but the most fundamental tasks: audio to begin with, dicts useless, search function "bumpy" and unreliable, but also most of the "cropping" features, a concept I also did not have the ability to understand, at least not from my own experience. Then again, I did not know about updating so may be that would have enabled some of the functions.

So I felt it worked in a way I would describe as "buggy" and I had to adapt to the device, work around one or two pecularities, and do without some things. I try to speak about the firmware, putting hardware problems one side of which there were as well. Then I noticed that the apps for the different formats ( pdf, epub, mobi, djvu and so on) all had different functionality with pdf being the one where you could do the most. It all seemed complicated and the icons were so tiny, it was like you had to learn how to hit each in a special way and place to get what you want at the first go. The upside was that I exercised the joints of my index finger and improved its flexibility.

All of this is intended to speak to my comment on usability.

So this is obviously the bias of someone who didn't know tech and wanted to read and work with pdfs on a 6'' device and wished it to be bigger. All the same, I fell in love with my device despite its shortcomings until its sad demise.

With tech, things are cursed, at least for me, and I think it's not so different with tablets. It is sometimes hard to talk about specifics and even harder to understand or imagine things only in theory while not having the device in front of you and having never worked with such a device for a long enough time. Money of course is another constraint.

On a final note, I admire people like there are many of on this board who know how to get tech things going in many ways. Thanks to this forum and relatedly to Youtube I also came to learn about the possibility of using E-ink screen as monitor - now one of my mid-term goals. Somebody on this board sold a Dasung device recently, but the offer has ended already. And I am not sure if I could make this work, still many open questions, uncharted waters to me. Plus I am very suspicious of second hand deals, esp. if they are on Ebay. It's sometimes hard to tell what's going on there. But this has nothing to do with the forum participant who sold the dasung recently.

Last edited by tommyer; 07-17-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Not 'privilege' but 'ability'
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote