View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 06:05 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Forget all Kindles, Kobos, etc. recommendations.
All of these "brands" want to bind buyers to their bookshops through the built-in software.
With an Android EInk tablet (Boox, Likebook) you are independent of all book distributors.
With the Kindle app you can read and also borrow or buy Amazon books, with Libby or the Overdrive you get overdrive books, with the Pocketbook app Adobe DRM books are no problem.
Android EInk Tablets are available in sizes 6, 7.8, 10.3 and 13.3 inches, not 7 inches.
I did learn the hard way by falling for such stupid suggestions (Kindle, Kobo, Tolino) and now only use Android devices from Boyue-Likebook and Onyx-Boox, which I have configured according to my requirements.
I have never once used my Kobo Aura H2O to buy eBooks from Kobo. I have bought from other bookstores as well including Amazon and using Calibre, I've been able to read these eBooks no problem.

You are not forced to use the stores associated with any Reader be it Kobo, Amazon, B&N, etc.

Besides, Android Readers that allow installing Android apps can be a distraction. A Reader such as Kobo has apps that can be installed, but they are not a distraction when reading.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-02-2021 at 06:07 AM.