View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
Funyoungman
Funyoungman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap124 View Post
have seen people say the KA1 is quite bright even at lowest setting...a lot brighter than H202 for example.
Can't say that I had ever noticed this but I just ran a few basic tests and it seems correct. The Kobo measured about 1.5 lux using my phone's photometer sensor. The Kindle was below 1. For comparison I tried the same with an OLED tablet screen (capable of ultra dimming) and an LCD laptop screen. The OLED registered 3 lux, the LCD measured at 5 lux at it's lowest setting but the contrast was so low that it would be unusable for reading, the text was clearer at the second dimmest setting which measured 20 lux.

The Kobo topped out at around 280 lux while the Kindle went to whopping 450.

These tests were fun but I honestly don't think they have any real impact on the reading experience. The Oasis's ability to change use red/orange light is helpful for reading in a very dark room. The Kindle gets so dim that it's hard to see it at all. Although cool I'm not sure what the utility of that is.

Unless you're interested in the color aspect of the Kobo I don't think the lighting specs make a good basis for decision. As long as the unit you get has nice even lighting (always a hit or miss thing ) both will be perfectly capable backlight wise.
Funyoungman is offline   Reply With Quote