View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
pazos
cosiņeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

You say that it works in some cases. Yes, it does, because the current releases of CC "target" Android 6. This causes Android 7 & up to run in "compatibility mode" so that passing files works...

If I were still developing CC I would under no circumstance code around vendor-specific strangeness in this area to try to make passing files work on some devices when targeting Android 8+. There lies madness. Instead I would (attempt) to keep the current behavior for Android 6 while making Android 7+ pass copies of the books (content providers)...
I'm sorry for bothering you again, chaley. Yesterday I installed the play store version of Moon Reader, built with targetSdk 28 and is still able to pass a file scheme to other apps without showing the FileUriExposedException on my device.

I'm aware that emulators can open file schemes without problems, following this example:

Code:
adb shell
cd /sdcard
echo "hello world" > test.txt
am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW  -t 'text/html' -d 'file:///sdcard/test.txt'
It could be because shell tools are not under a certain domain sandbox and can expose file uris without hussle. But again I can reproduce on my huawei with both am and with modern apps built against latest levels. So I'm guessing that the following scheme will work even on targetSdk >= 24.

Code:
try {
    File file = new File("/sdcard", "test.txt"; // lets assume file exists here...
    Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
    intent.setDataAndType(Uri.fromFile(file), "text/plain");
    startActivity(intent)
} catch(FileUriExposedException e) {
    // ooohhh, no fun. try the content provider approach instead.
}
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote