View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #2673
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My pet peeve. Nothing ruins an audiobook for me faster and permanently, unless it's just the odd one-off. And then I get over it. Eventually.

The production values for audiobook can seem to be nonexistent; it especially irritates me that there's frequently no apparent oversight and also an unwillingness to go back and fix errors even though they're corrected in subsequent uses. But I also agree that some of the so-called talent is dreadful, objectively speaking.

I tend to prefer the first narrator I hear in a series; it's so jarring to have to readjust the voices in your head when there's a change. I try to reserve judgment and I also realize that there are a lot of factors especially with a prolific author; sometimes other narrators are easily good enough and I come around on them. And then you hit one that spoils it. Sigh.

I was somewhat surprised by how fast they can churn out audio books. According to this article, someone really good can generate an hour's worth of audio in an hour and 15 minutes. Someone with less experience who has to do multiple takes, an hour can take two or three hours to generate.

https://mentalfloss.com/article/5403...book-narrators

There was also an interesting video/documentary that got posted here a while back on how they do audiobooks at the audible studios.

I'm actually a bit impressed about how few audio books I run across where I have an issue with the narrator. I've got almost 750 audiobooks. While there are a few books that I think might have been better with a real top notch narrator, very few fall into the "this guy is so bad I don't want to listen to it" level. I tend to buy books based on the author, but I will buy books that I might not normally buy based on the narrator.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote