View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Then you were a bit lucky and never used any epub3 features. Which makes sense if you want to be fully epub2 compatible.

Sigil tries hard to add the svg manifest property to the html file that shows the cover image, and the manifest property of the cover image file itself. But if you use other svg, javascript, external media resources, mathml, etc in your epub3 then the required manifest properties should be set.

The reason we did not automate this action previously is that we have to walk every single xhtml file parsing each fully and then walking the parsed tree node by node to see if you use svg, mathml, have an href that goes outside the epub, uses javascript, etc and this is really time consuming and requires all xhtml files be well formed. To top it all off, it really only needs to be done once right before saving the final epub.

It really can't break anything so using it should do no damage.

Because of how long it could take, making it automatic on *every* save, may still not be the best idea.

This is true for the other epub3 tools as well. They all really only have to be used once before the final save.

I just can't see a way to detect if the user is done editing and wants this save to be the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
And then again - we've been making backwards compatible epub3's for three years now, without ever using that tool. I seem to remember I tried it, right after Sigil was made epub3-savvy, got an error in some manifest properties (don't ask, I don't remember the exact error), and never touched the thing again.

My point being, if it's not enforced to day, please don't enforce it now, but leave the decision to the user.
Regards,

Kim
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote