View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 10:58 PM   #15
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Possibly keep the library on one always-running computer and use calibre-server?
I really wanted to do it this way, since I have a NAS and that makes by far the most sense, but syncing Collections is a must-have feature for me. (Calibre-web syncs collections to Kobo wirelessly, but it has a number of other problems in its current state.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd use a decent USB stick, USB SSD or even a USB HDD. Either could be big enough to have the calibre files (esp the HDD) as well as the program and the database.

The Kobo would be rather slow as a USB drive, though some really cheap USB sticks are slower!
I lose things, unfortunately. Don't think I've ever had a flash drive longer than a month. Speed-wise the Kobo seems to be working okay so far—there just is not a huge amount of I/O involved with transferring ebooks—so I think that concern may not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why can't you install Calibre Portable on your laptop's storage? ... Once you have the settings and plugins the way you want on one computer, you can copy the settings directory to the other computers. Also, when a plug-in gets updated, all Calibre installs will get notified. Same with new versions of Calibre. So really, it's very easy. If you need to copy the settings directory, just use a USB stick or microSD card. If you need an SD card, an adapter for the microSD card will do.

It's really very easy to keep the various Calibre installs with the same settings and plugins except if any of the computers need an older version.
I did install calibre on my work laptop, and if I had a configuration I was totally happy with, that could be the end of it. But I tend to tinker with things. When I find the time I am going to fix Goodreads syncing, and there are some workflow issues that I want to iron out... it's always something that gets changed, and then I forget to transfer the change over, and then I change something else on the other machine, and once I do that there's no longer an easy way to sync them back up without losing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It'll run on a computer that the Kobo is connected to. This was already explained.

Another issue I thought of: Kobo would try to import all the books in the portable library. This might have... odd effects.
Spot-on—it did in fact try to import all my calibre files (.txt config files, interface graphics, etc.) as ebooks. That took a while to fix, but apparently there is a built-in option in the Kobo eReader.conf file that lets you set a regex of paths to ignore. So that problem is solved.

(As an aside, I don't plan on keeping the calibre library itself on the Kobo. The main library will live on my desktop—I only need access to the calibre program in case I want to add new books while I'm away from home.)

Last edited by TheRealJohnAdams; 03-25-2023 at 11:01 PM.
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote