Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #1042
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Someone on another forum that I frequent is looking for a book. Copied from there:

Quote:
Back in the preinternet days, I collected obscure UK mystery novels from the start of the 20th century.

The one I really miss and would like to find again, was from before the golden age, but I can’t remember either author or title.

There was a retired captain who planted his garden with tulips, all a certain number, maybe five or seven, to a bed. This was either a clue or a red herring.

There was an eccentric old lady whose house opened onto the town’s wall - set in south west England.

There was a church or cathedral and supposed to be buried treasure which criminals were looking for, and the good people were looking for to save it. The treasure had belonged to an abbot or a bishop, who was buried there. Eventually the treasure was discovered to be buried with him in a hidden vault accessed through what appeared to be his tomb. The goodies arranged to leave it there and make it impossible to access it.

Anyone know it? I have been looking for years without success.

Not by anyone as well known as M R James, and it was a novel, not a short story.

It is frustrating because I have a a vague idea of the title being something like The something Abbot or The Abbot’s something, but I have never been able to find it. In style, and probably date, it was similar to Fergus Hume’s work. It isn’t any of the ones Project Gutenberg has, but he wrote so much it could have been an obscure one of his.
Anyone here able to help?
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote