View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcinfoman View Post
Well, that sucks! What is the point of have a pdf reader feature if pdfs don't work on the thing
I have no idea why it supports PDF. But if you make a PDF in the size of the screen, it works fine. It's justr just your average PDF made to be printed on a piece of paper is too large for the screen. You will need to use one of the thrd party tools to get the PDF to be readable enough.

Quote:
So the line spacing is horrible on this unit. is that what you are saying?
The line spacing on the Sony is fine. It's eReader formatted books that hae the problem. Books you purchase at the Connect store are fine.

Quote:
I don't really get this. it is an electronic device, right? it displays information on the screen, right? Then not putting a backlight on it does not make sense to me. I think I will have to find a place that has one I can actually hold.
You will find that no e-ink device will have a backlight. It's not just the Sony. As Harry said (simplified here) light cannot pass through the e-ink.

Quote:
You don't seem like you are happy with this product. is there nothing good you can say about it?
I am very happy with my Sony Reader. I use it to read books. I do not try to get it to do things it's not all that good at. I don't bother trying to read full page sized PDF. I read books with it. It does that very well. It holds a charge for 2-3 weeks depending on usage. It's a good size to be able to carry around with me. The screen does not cause eye fatigue. It's not too heavy to hold. ANd I am not stuck carrying around a bunch of dead tree type books. I can have many books on it at one time so I can decide what I want to read when the mood strikes me.

The tools we have for content creation are very good. We have libpri500 with all it's various tools, Book Designer, and pielrf.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote