View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Not very detailed, but enough to "read between the lines" based on past experience. When you have a lot of experience with a lot of hardware, little hints can give away the whole secret.

Basically, I went from the device teardowns that identified the chips (epson) on K3, and backtracked to crossreference the part number and find a PDF with that part.

For the K4 and K5, I found eink literature from Freescale, which identified the eink controller integrated into the iMX508 SoC, and from their backtracked to a project for the illiad that has partial support for the same eink controller.

I found the "not known in this forum" secret ioctl for the k4/k5 (buried in very complex code) and extracted the essential ioctl parameters, then simplified it by "defaulting" a lot of stuff.

The freescale eink controller has a LOT of untapped potential here that we can explore (especially with a custom kernel)...

Basically, after multiple failed attempts in past months, I decided I really needed it now, and just kept looking (pretty much continuously for two days) until I found the secrets I needed to write code.
I see... I previously thought you just got these documents by calling Amazon ;P

That's a nice hack
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote