View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #218
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That depends on how annoying it would be. I mean not being able to translate content could mean that if someday I decided to get a new device that read a different DRM format then my 505, I would be screwed. That's where DRM is the biggest issue for me. I cannot predict the future and I don't want to risk losing my content.
Jon, when I said "to read on any device you owned," I was sure that you'd understand that I meant in perpetuity. Anyway... I understand that you want to read your content on whatever, and I was trying to suggest a DRM that would apply to the ownership of the document, not its format. Supposedly, if e-books could be transacted in a format like ePub, that could be converted to your format/device of choice (and still retain whatever ownership data the device needed in order to open the file), anyone could buy an e-book and upload it to their device of choice, freely.

The two requirements of such a system would be:
  1. The media file would have to include the ownership data/code, in a place where the reading device could find it; and
  2. The reading device would only read media so coded with the ownership info.
Seems like a do-able solution, not hard to implement, easy for the consumer (assuming conversion tools are available for their device), and relatively secure enough for the producer. And as theory goes, if it's easy enough for everyone to use, there will be a minimum amount of hacking the system to bypass it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote