View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #136
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To the people who say they can't be futzed with transferring books to their readers all the time: how do your new book purchases get added to your devices? Do you save them up so you can transfer a bunch at once or what?

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly cool with you having your entire library on your reader (it don't make me no nevermind). I'm just having a hard time understanding how not wanting the hassle of hooking it up to pc and transferring is any kind of justification for doing so. I don't see that part as very relevant.

How is that any more of a hassle than what you guys do (provided you're keeping a calibre or pc backup, of course)?

Wanting to have the myriad of choices, I understand. I just don't understand why anyone would automatically assume those who are OK with only handful of choices are somehow more "slaved" (or maybe tethered) to their external library.

I only ever have a handful of books on my device and I hardly ever hook up and transfer either. I buy a book, download it, read it, and then usually delete it. Then every now and then, I get on my pc and download my recent purchases (sans device and any tether) and add them to my calibre library for backup.
Like you I don't care how many books anyone has on their ereader with the exception of my mother who would call at 3 AM and tell me she had no good books on her reader could I send her one(My mother is 87 and I manage her Amazon account)

Most of it is me. I've always borrowed and bought books in bulk when I had the money. 20-30 would be average. Once I bought over 100 books at a going out of business sale and would have bought more if I could have figured out a way to carry more. (I had a backpack and a wheeled cart, and I am sure everyone on the bus thought I was a baglady)

I prefer to make my decisions at once as well. I have four ereaders, with generally the same books on each but two I have series shelves and two I have authors shelves. Need to change the driver configuration depending on which one I am sideloading to or chaos erupts. I have them this way because sometimes I want to browse by author and sometimes I want to browse by series. I know I can have both but it suits my weird brain better to have them separate.

I like my books a certain way so I generally convert first and sideload. I use calibre custom columns to keep track of the books on the readers. Periodically I compare what is on the device to what I had put on the device and mark the deleted ones as read.

I read 20 - 50 books a month so this is a lot of piddling around to do on a book by book basis. It is a lot of piddling around anyway, but it is what want to do.

So if I have several hundred or more books on my readers that I know I want to read, I am seldom limited in choice. I can hook up to calibre every two months or so, update everything (checking what I have read, deleting the read ones from all readers, putting on a bunch more which I have already marked in calibre) in an hour usually. Doing it one by one would take me a lot more time overall and would become a chore I would resent.

Like I said, it is just me.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 09-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote