Thread: Which reader?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
creativelywarped
creativelywarped began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Which reader?

Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me pick out the right reader for me. I'm an avid reader but I have a neuromuscular disease that's progressive and it's getting harder and harder to hold open and turn pages of a book. I've been a fan of ebooks ever since my library got them several years ago, and since finding out about bookshare.org (an ebook service for those with print disabilities) I finally decided to buy a reader.
Unfortunately, like with any other electronic device I've ever bought in my life, trying to find one I can use is going to be challenging. Navigation is a big worry for me because a lot of times buttons are too hard for me to push. If they're easy like a keyboard or TV remote I can usually push them. Touchscreens work well but I have found out that not all touch screens are created equal for me. I use my nail to use a touchscreen which unfortunately doesn't work on an iphone-type screen. Button or navigation placement is the next biggest concern. I have very little hand/arm movement, so I can't cover a lot of surface area. I don't mind having someone turn it on for me or helping me get back to main menu, but the main functions I would like to be able to do on my own. Those are the main issues, although I would prefer to have eink and be able to read pdfs, texts/html, and books from the library.
Any advice or suggestions you have would be most appreciated!
creativelywarped is offline   Reply With Quote