View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
manifest.xml templates

Hallo,

I posted here the manifest.xml templates that I use all the time. Nothing new, but why not?
3 templates are included for html, pdf, & directory.

Why do I need to have manifest.xml templates?
[1] It's much faster than tagging your files "online" on your iLiad, you can't set an image this way.
[1] You can tag directories with title, description, & image! [-> much more sweeter contentlister]

iLiad's contentlister uses UTF-8 encoding, that's the reason why your iLiad doesn't like your manifest.xml edited on PC if you use characters like German Umlaute δόδ or French accent grave without bothering with encoding.
The fun part is iLiad can read iso-8859-1 encoding & converts it on-the-fly to UTF-8 when it saves the file the first time. Therefore templates' encoding is iso-8859-1. What is the pro? You can use the letters on your keyboard without any worries.

Usage of xml-templates
#Copy contents of zip-file to where you want, have a look on iLiad's contentlister to find out what is possible.
# Use one of the "Use this 3 templates [x].zip" to tag your documents.[*]
Edit the sections which are marked red in the pdf sample below.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!--manifest file for pdf files-->
<package>
<metadata>
<dc-metadata>
	<Title>TITLE</Title>
	<Description>DESCRIPTION</Description>
	<Date>2007-01-01T00:00:00</Date>
	<Format/>
	<Identifier/>
	<Language/>
	<Type/>
</dc-metadata>
<y-metadata>
	<startpage>FILENAME.pdf</startpage>
	<image>cover.png</image>
	<version>000</version>
</y-metadata>
</metadata>
</package>
You can use png & jpg files as images, no gif please.
Optimal size of image is 69x93 pixels, but you can user other dimensions, image gets scaled in contentlister. iLiad can handle dimension larger than 1000 pixel without any problems.

Sticky: Please don't use the character "&" in Title, Description, & Filenames. iLiad doen't like &s.
[*] I have included 3 "Use this 3 templates [x].zip" files, because when you open a xml with single Line Feed character in Windows' notepad it looks strange because Windows terminates each line with a Carriage Return and Line Feed pair. Enough with technical stuff. Have fun with them.

[EDIT]
Iso-8859-1: "ISO 8859-1 encodes what it refers to as "Latin alphabet no. 1," consisting of 191 characters from the Latin script."
UTF-8
Attached Files
File Type: zip manifest.xml_templates.zip (68.4 KB, 1170 views)

Last edited by yokos; 01-10-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: wikipedia hl
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote