View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
I can understand the arguments for setting-independent page counts in electronic books. But (1) my personal preference would be for screen counts (since I do not require fixed page numbers for recreational reading) and (2) I cannot find two devices actually giving the same page counts on my epubs (all of these readers that do not count screens, e.g. KOBO vs. calibre reader vs. some andoid epub reader the name of which I forgot).
You need to compare two ADE based readers. The ADE desktop does it the same way as Kobo devices for epub. The calibre viewer definitely doesn't. It uses the same sort of rule but its calculation is different. I have read what it is but don't remember. The Android reader won't be ADE based, so unless they have it reproduces the calculation, it won't have the same page numbering. The "Count Pages" plugin for calibre has options for how to calculate the number of pages. One is using the ADE algorithm.

Nowadays, I don't pay much attention to the current page number. I tend to use the percentage read with the total pages. That gives me a good idea how far I am through the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote