View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Is "Universal DRM" coming?

So I had a lengthy conference call from a vendor who is trying to sell my not-for-profit a (not yet existing) web site designed to sell a digital download service of video, audio and books to our organization's donors.

The saleswoman was quite snotty when I raised questions about her company's ability to offer downloads for all the major walled-garden devices (Kindle vs Nook, iTunes vs Amazon, etc). I already found it laughable that her tiny grant-funded company would be directly licensing content from the studios, record industry and BPH, but she says from her previous experience at a "home entertainment company" she has the contacts. She threw around names like Baker & Taylor, but I know they can't serve up Kindle content.

My favorite comment was "since you know so much about this stuff, you know Universal DRM is coming, right?" When I questioned that, she claimed she was "in the know." Then she implied that she should have been talking to my boss (who dumped the call on me to begin with), because "perhaps you are not visionary enough" for her product.

Since I have to present the results of this incredible call tomorrow, I'm just covering my bases.

So is there some future of Universal DRM that I'm unaware of?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote