View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
The librarian of the adult wing of my hometown library refused my first attempt to check out books, when I was about 12. I told the juvenile wing librarian, who walked with me back to the other desk. She said: "Let him check out what he wants. He's already read all the books I have." It was an exaggeration, but not much of one. The periodicals and reference sections were on a small floor above the juvenile section, and I'd been through those, too, by that time, and she knew it. Encyclopedias are boring to read straight through. I only got through C of Compton's, I think it was, but further through Britannica - the latter had better writing. Dictionaries are better reading, there's something interesting on almost every page.

This reminds me of own experience. When I was about 11 or 12 I was finally allowed to borrow books from the adult section of the library. My first book was Benjamin Thomas's bio of Abraham Lincoln. then i decided I was going to read all the books in the library. i divided it into 4 sections fiction, sf, philosophy and humor for starters Got through all the sf and the A's in fiction was a slower slog through the other 2 categories. then i went to college I figured I would pick up where I left off. To my dismay when i got my library card from the Boston Public Library( a great building by the way) I discovered they used the library of congress cataloging system rather than the Dewey decimal system so I sort of started over...lol. Fifty years later I still make feeble attempts to continue my goal. At least now that I am retired it keeps me busy..
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote