View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: Err, not sure I was clear enough . Let's try again:

I was thinking specifically of importing/exporting just a simple json representation of the collections db, preferably in the same format used on previous Kindles (which is, AFAIU, still used on the Touch, only meshed with a sqlite db), not of reorganizing the documents FS layout to match the collections db . But since I have no idea how the Java side of this thing works, I'm not sure if/how it's possible . I'm guessing there should be something of the sort available, since it's more or less what the 'Import Collections From Another Device' vanilla feature does, I think, albeit maybe in XML instead of JSON (cf. KSP)...
Hmmm... ok, let's see.

First off, where is that "Import Collections from Another Device" feature? I never found anything like that. Are you sure it's there on the K5?

Second... no. AFAIK, the K5 does not use a JSON representation of the collections, everything is stored in the database.

Anyway... it would be pretty trivial to export the collections tree to JSON or XML - and to import it back. It could be possible to get it to work with the content as well, assuming that the titles are unique. But that is speculation for now, until the questions below are answered

I'm still a bit confused. What do I have to do in calibre to manage collections? How does that relate to the collections.py that you linked? And, could you post an example of a JSON or XML file in the format that should be supported?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote