View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #53
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon View Post
You might also like "Diving into the Wreck" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...into-the-wreck
Just a quick note on this: Diving into the Wreck is written in First Person, Present Tense ("I talk to my shipmate", "We go to the ship" as opposed to ("I talked to my shipmate", "We went to the ship"). It drove me crazy.

I really enjoyed Rusch's Retrieval Artist series (which is more like a mystery series set in space than a space opera), but I couldn't finish Diving into the Wreck because of the tense. If present tense doesn't bother you, I would strongly recommended Rusch in general.

But I've bought about half a dozen books in the last year using the current gimmick of present tense and haven't been able to finish any of them. I wish someone had given me a warning.

(And before someone mentions excerpts, something to remember is that there are often prologues or initial chapters written in a different style from the full book. I didn't ALWAYS check - Rusch used to be an "auto-buy" for me, so I didn't check her book - but it's not always easy to tell if an entire book will be in present tense).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote