View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #18
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
O.K., I just downloaded the revised firmware. The "About" screen now shows the version as "48.3.1.0 / 4.8.3.10". The "Storage" screen now shows only a single partition that says "5.64Gb of 6.35GB available". File Explorer on my Windows 7 PC also shows a single partition.

Here is the problem... I am generally pretty tech savy. I have rooted my Android phones, etc. However, I have never used an ereader before a couple of weeks ago. So, I am not very familiar with the Nook software, let alone a new version. If you have suggestions, or something you want me to test, let me know.

I downloaded some books in epub and pdf format from Project Gutenberg.

I tried loading some books via my USB cable to the GL3. Loaded them in the Root directory= no luck. Created a new Directory off of the Root called "ProjectGutenberg" and loaded some books into it=no luck. Loaded some books into the "Nook" directory=succcess.

The books immediately showed up in "New & Recent in My Library". They are also listed in Library/My Files.

I was able to access the books without problems, except...

The one pdf book I loaded. It displayed the title properly in the Library/My Files and the New & Recent... screen. However, when I tried to open it, I got a blank page that said Page 1 of 0. Since I am not even sure if my GL3 should read a pdf book, I just deleted it, and decided to post here for futher advise.
Does File Explorer on your Windows 7 PC show a 6 GB partition? That will be the proof for me.

The Nook software is a cleverly disguised Android 4.4.2 (good 'ol KitKat!). You can install another launcher and apps, and root the NG3, if you want. But we can worry about that later. The firmware might be set up so that you can only sideload to the Nook folder, as that's where the Nook reader expects to find them.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote