View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think a distinction is that people pay a bus fare when they use a bus; people are obliged to pay for the BBC whether they use it or not.
No, that's not true. If you don't own a TV, or if you only use it to watch videos, play games, hook it up to a computer, or use it as a door-stop, you don't need a licence.

Also, you don't need a licence to watch TV other than "over the air". A growing number of people choose to watch TV by other means, mainly via the internet. Those people don't need a licence.

Anyway, my main point was that the BBC is not "tax funded". There's a common misconception that it gets it funding from the government, and is therefore somehow influenced by government policy. It was that point that I was refuting, rather than the issue of who is or is not obliged to buy a licence.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote