View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think a distinction is that people pay a bus fare when they use a bus; people are obliged to pay for the BBC whether they use it or not.
Unless the licensing laws have been updated in the last year or two (It's not something I really follow) the following should still be accurate.

You can own a TV without paying for a TV license so long as you do not watch any TV stations via it. If you only play video games, watch videos or dvd's on it then you do not need a license.

If you watch any TV stations however (even if you do so via a computer rather than TV) then you need a license.

I do know someone who has had a TV for many years now and has not once paid for a TV license. They spoke to the people who do the licensing and were assured they did not require a license for the purposes of only watching videos and gaming and to date have never had an issue with that.

Unless something has changed in the last 2 years, you also do not need a tv license to watch on-demand programming. Which does (or did) include iPlayer. That's a loophole likely to be closed however (assuming it hasn't already).

I do understand your comparison though. Even if you never watch any of the BBC services and only watch commercial stations you still need a license and that's one of the things that has caused issues several times, even more so now we have services like Sky. In a way it is like a tax as you're having to pay for services you may not want nor consume.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote